I remember when the Chase Sapphire Reserve came out a few years ago it was HOT! But as a Delta/Hilton devotee, I wanted to maximize the return on my business travel to build status, and rewards towards my personal travel.
2020 has been a year of change, to say the least. I got rid of, and got back my Amex Delta Reserve. Also picked up the Amex Delta Platinum as well. All year, I have been earning miles and points, while only going on one personal trip. Most of my customers have said that they won’t return to their office until July 2021. If that’s the case, it’ll be months more before they start letting third party vendors on site.
With the help of the IGTP Card Calculator, I popped in my year to date categorical spending for 2020. The answer was clear. My best bet for the new year was to start off with a new card.
|Card||Air Travel||Hotel||Restaurant||Groceries||Gas||Amazon||Other spend||ROE||Notes|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve||$9.90||$192.64||$562.50||$319.50||$30.00||$90.00||$919.68||$2,124.22||Point redemption is 50% when redeeming towards travel.|
|Capital One Venture||$4.40||$85.62||$250.00||$142.00||$40.00||$120.00||$1,226.24||$1,868.26||Earns cash back towards travel|
|AMEX Hilton Aspire||$7.70||$299.67||$187.50||$106.50||$30.00||$90.00||$919.68||$1,641.05||Earns Hilton Honors points towards hotel stays & experiences|
|AMEX Delta Platinum||$7.92||$154.12||$300.00||$170.40||$24.00||$72.00||$735.74||$1,464.18|
|BOA Travel Rewards||$3.30||$64.22||$187.50||$106.50||$30.00||$90.00||$919.68||$1,401.19|
|Chase Freedom Unlimited||$3.30||$64.22||$187.50||$106.50||$30.00||$90.00||$919.68||$1,401.19|
|Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi||$6.60||$128.43||$375.00||$71.00||$80.00||$120.00||$613.12||$1,394.15|
|Amazon Prime Visa||$2.20||$42.81||$250.00||$71.00||$40.00||$300.00||$613.12||$1,319.13||Earn cash back towards Amazon purchases.|
|Wells Fargo Propel||$6.60||$128.43||$375.00||$71.00||$60.00||$60.00||$613.12||$1,314.15||Earns points to be redeemed for products and credits|
|AMEX Delta Reserve||$5.28||$51.37||$150.00||$85.20||$24.00||$72.00||$735.74||$1,123.60||Earns Delta miles towards flights & vacations|
|Barclaycard Apple Card||$2.20||$42.81||$125.00||$71.00||$20.00||$60.00||$613.12||$934.13||Earns credits with Apple Store and products.|
|BOA Cash Rewards||$2.20||$42.81||$125.00||$71.00||$20.00||$60.00||$613.12||$934.13|
|Chase Disney Rewards||$2.20||$42.81||$125.00||$71.00||$20.00||$60.00||$613.12||$934.13||Earns “Disney Dollars” towards store and park spend.|
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is one of those top end rewards cards with a hefty $550 annual fee. But the rewards more than make up for it, and as you saw with my spending, I will come out far ahead.
The benefits of the card is quite lengthy too!
- 3X PPD on Travel and Dining (groceries as well through 4/30/2021)
- +50% VPP when you redeem your points towards travel
- $300 annual travel credit – Receive up to $300 in statement credits annually as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card.
- Complimentary Priority Pass Select for Airpot Lounge Access
- Special Car Rental Privileges – Enroll in leading car rental rewards programs from National Car Rental, Avis, and Silvercar. Log into Chase Ultimate Rewards® to access the Special Car Rental Privileges section of your Travel Benefits page to book with your card. Enjoy enhanced benefits, such as upgrades and car rental discounts, savings on luxury and premium rental car rates, plus promotions and other offers.
- Events & Experiences – Cardmembers enjoy exclusive access to some of the most exciting events in music, sports, entertainment and dining.
- One to One Point Transfer – Transfer points to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs at full 1:1 value – that means 1,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards® points equals 1,000 partner miles/points.
- Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection – Enjoy special benefits at a variety of hand-selected top hotels and resorts worldwide.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Elite Hotel Benefits at Relais & Chateaux
- DoorDash statement credit – $60/ year
- DoorDash DashPass subscription – Enjoy a complimentary DashPass, DoorDash’s subscription service that provides unlimited restaurant deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12, for a minimum of one year (currently valued at $9.99/month).
- 10X PPD on Lyft (through March 2022)
- Complimentary Year of Lyft Pink – Enjoy benefits like preferred pricing, priority airport pickups, exclusive offers, and more with one year of complimentary Lyft Pink, a $199 minimum value.
- Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption Insurance – If your trip is cancelled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver – Decline the rental company’s collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to $75,000 for theft and collision damage for rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.
- Baggage Delay Insurance – Reimburses you for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing for baggage delays over 6 hours by passenger carrier up to $100 a day for 5 days.
- Trip Delay Reimbursement – If your common carrier travel is delayed more than 6 hours or requires an overnight stay, you and your family are covered for unreimbursed expenses, such as meals and lodging, up to $500 per ticket.
- Roadside Assistance – If you have a roadside emergency, you can call for a tow, jumpstart, tire change, locksmith or gas. You’re covered up to $50 per incident 4 times a year.
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement – If you or an immediate family member check or carry on luggage that is damaged or lost by the carrier, you’re covered up to $3,000 per passenger.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance – If you run into a problem away from home, call the Benefit Administrator for legal and medical referrals or other travel and emergency assistance.
- Travel Accident Insurance – When you pay for your air, bus, train or cruise transportation with your card, you are eligible to receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $1,000,000.
- Emergency Evacuation & Transportation – If you or a member of your immediate family are injured or become sick during a trip far from home that results in an emergency evacuation, you can be covered for medical services and transportation up to $100,000.
- Emergency Medical & Dental – If you’re 100 miles or more from home on a trip, you can be reimbursed up to $2,500 for medical expenses if you or your immediate family member become sick or injured.
- Purchase Protection – Covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per year.
- Extended Warranty Protection – Extends the time period of the U.S. manufacturer’s warranty by an additional year, on eligible warranties of three years or less.
- Return Protection – You can be reimbursed for eligible items that the store won’t take back within 90 days of purchase, up to $500 per item, $1,000 per year.
And if you haven’t signed up for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry, they’ll even give you a $100 credit when you sign up (once every four years).
That’s a whole lot of value in just $550 a year.